CSULB's Microsoft Lync 2013 users will soon experience an upgrade to "Skype for Business." Lync 2010 users will only experience the new look and feel after their client is upgraded to Lync 2013.
Basic Feature Changes
Most functionality will remain the same, but you can expect the following changes:
- New look and feel – contacts list, presence indicators, buttons and icons, and sounds will all take on the Skype brand.
- File transfer preview – download, forward, preview, or delete files sent during an Instant Message session.
Sample Comparison Screenshots
Lync 2013 ("before")
Skype for Business ("after")
Figure 1: Lync icon/button
Figure 2: Skype icon/button
Figure 1: Lync status box
Figure 2: Skype for business status box
Note: CSULB version will not include profile pictures.
The User Experience: What to Expect
- The Lync 2013 application on user workstations should update to Skype for Business after the user logs for the first time after the upgrade is completed. Automatic updating will occur only for workstations current with Microsoft security updates.
- After Lync 2013 has been upgraded to Skype for Business, users will be presented with a welcome screen with "7 quick tips most people ask for."
- Lync 2010 users will not experience the new look and feel of Skype for Business unless they're upgraded to Lync 2013.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to your department or college technical coordinator(s).